http://www.theweathernetwork.com/

Click for tigress can jam food blog challenge

3rd year gardening in High Park Allotment in Toronto

a dream of gardens foretells great joy ...

join me for rooftoop gardening

at gardenbreez

or come on over to this year's gardening blog at http://gardenbre4.blogspot.com

Sunday, November 7, 2010

Creeping Charlie


I've just been told the ground cover (see top right corner and in between all the kale leaves) is something called 'creeping charlie aka Lamiaceae, an aromatic perennial that has been around for a long time and it has been used for many ailments - one of which is ringing in the ears. Now I'm tempted as I've suffered from this for ages!

I loved davesgarden entire blog about Creeping Charlie ... Aunt Bett made tea from its tiny leaves. She said that the tea was a remedy for coughs, but I am here to tell you that when she made it for me it was such a nasty bitter drink that I coughed even more. She added honey to it and told me to drink it anyway. It tasted as terrible as an asphidity bag smelled.




Some sites say it is invasive and can only be taken out with the 'big guns' ...

I think what I will probably have to do is cover the ground with weed cloth and be vigilant next Summer with it. I'll save some for a hanging basket on the roof! I'll be doing more research on how to use it properly because as you may have noticed there are some safety concerns sounded on the wikipedia site that too much of it can make you so sick a horse could abort ... hmmmm (maybe I need to read that one more time) ... off I go!

1 comment:

  1. Creeping Charlie is awful! I once was helping people start a garden (huge!) in a yard that was covered in CC. I eventually gave up, because it involved dealing with the CC more than the garden itself.

    ReplyDelete

My Shelfari Bookshelf

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog

Feed the Fish

Followers